I’m not very good at setting goals, forward-thinking or following through with resolutions this time of year. Or any time of year really. I could say it’s simply because I “live in the moment.” But I’m pretty sure it’s not that.
In an attempt to turn things around, I’m making 2013 the Year of Me. Me. Me. Me me ME. It’s not you. It’s me.
2013 is also the year I turn 40. I’ll call that a double whammy of a year! I’m not sure if all this is good or bad; or simply my excuse to finally execute upon a nervous breakdown/mid-life crisis. This is the year I have permission to do that, right? Sign me up!
To ward off said mid-life crisis, the Year of Me (Me. Me. Me me me) will include the following activities:
- I shall do one thing each and every day just for me: take photographs, buy a fancy coffee, write. Or simply take a shower.
- I shall find a form of therapy that works for me: be it a person, yoga or a bottle of Jack.
- I will rid myself of my need to respond to you immediately. I will reply when I can as I may be otherwise busy. I do not have to explain to you what my busy-ness entails.
- I will not pretend to become a runner, more domestic or hyper-organized this year.
- I will probably keep biting my nails.
- I will also, probably, continue to tell my computer to f* off when it’s not working properly. I continue to believe it will one day hear me and behave to my expectations.
- I will not lower my expectations of you. But I will try to lower my expectations of myself.
- I will not cut my hair again to less than 1/2 inch in length. I will continue to believe it should be glossy, not frizzy.
- I will not put formaldehyde in my hair to pretend it is glossy.
- I will continue to cuss. Probably. Maybe.
Fuck. That’s a lot of bullets. Maybe I’ll just have the mid-life crisis….